Ratchet straps are a great option for many different applications, but it’s imperative that they’re used properly to protect both the loads they’re securing, as well as the people who are using them.
Step 1 – Thread the Ratchet Straps
Before you can use your ratchet straps for the first time, they must be threaded. Proper threading ensures ease of release. Threading new ratchet straps is done easily by following these steps:
- Open the ratchet strap handle by pulling the disengage lever
- Crank the ratchet strap handle to give you access to the open slot located on the metal axle
- Send the flat end of the strap through the open slot from the underside of the metal axle
- Send the strap over the metal axle and out the same way that it went in
Step 2 – Properly Using Ratchet Straps
Below are a few steps to ensure you’re properly using your new ratchet straps:
- Ensure the straps are in good condition and that they have the proper load limit based on the weight of your cargo
- Attach the metal hooks to secure endpoints
- Pull the flat end of the ratchet strap to remove any slack
- Raise and lower the ratchet handle to further tighten the strapping material
- Close and lock the handle to secure your load
- Be sure to not overtighten your load. You want the straps to be tight, but not overtightened which can cause damage to both the ratchet straps, as well as your cargo.
Step 3 – How to Release Ratchet Straps
Releasing ratchet straps does not have to be difficult. Simply follow the steps below:
- Pull the disengage lever and open it so that it’s totally flat
- You will likely hear a clicking sound which should confirm that the strap is indeed unlocked.
- Once the strap has been unlocked you should be able to pull it out through the hole in the metal axle.
Still Have Questions About The Proper Way to Use Ratchet Straps?
If you’re still unsure about how to use ratchet straps, don’t hesitate to reach out to the strapping experts at Strapping-Products.com. We can be reached by phone at 888-803-8140 or via email at email@example.com.